Immigration laws

Before considering moving to Switzerland, it's important to know the current laws pertaining to immigration. There are also various jobs that are more sought after than others, and which may allow you to move more quickly.

This category of job typically covers professionals with high skills in various industries. European Unions residents will benefit from local regulations which allows one to work up to 15 hours a week or for a determined 3-month contract without any kind of notification. Beyond these numbers, a work permit is necessary regardless of your origin.

Work permits

  • Type B

    For employees under a yearly contract, it is available for students on a yearly and renewable basis. For professional workers, the validity reached 5 years.

  • Type C

    Residents originating from the European Union who have been staying in Switzerland for 5 years are granted the Type C permit, which is indefinite.

  • Type G

    The type G permit is available for non-Swiss residents working in the country and passing the border to reach their workplace. Employees must return to their country at least once a week. For a one-year contract and below, the permit expires at the same time as the contract. Above a year, the type G permit is valid for 5 years.

  • Type L

    For work contracts below 12 months and above 3 months, this permit expires at the same time as the job contract.


To become Swiss and hold a Swiss passport, one must reside in the country for at least 10 to 12 years. Every year spent between the age of twenty and thirty counts as two years. However, naturalisation isn't automatic beyond this period. Laws remain very restrictive and depend upon the nationality and activity of the person requesting citizenship.

Practical information

Useful links

Switzerland services : working and studying